(Image copyrighted to peevee@ds. All rights reserved.)
Manappad point is a high sandy head land jutting into the sea on the south side of the Manappad Bay-along its coast line is situated Manappad fishing village. On the summit of promontory and close to the lighthouse is situated the Holy Cross Church built in 1581. Manappad is known as Pearl Fishing harbour. It is about 70 km from Kanniyakumari and 18 Km from Tiruchendur and is connected by an all weather road. The Lighthouse tower was built in 1887-88 under Madras Presidency Control. The 3rd order optical equipment supplied by M/s. Chance Bros., Birmingham was installed and the lighthouse was commissioned into service on 30th March 1888. The murette of the lantern room is of brick masonry raised from inner lining of the tower masonry wall. The oil wick lamp was replaced by a PV Burner of 55 mm size in the year 1902 after some modifications in the lighthouse carried out in 1901. Mr D. Alan Stevenson LH Expert had visited the lighthouse in 1926 and found it be functioning satisfactory. After more than 90 years of its existence the Electric main supply could be extended to the station. The PV light source was replaced by 230V 400 W Metal halide lamp and was commissioned on 31st August 1994.